OUR APPROACH PURPOSE, PROJECTS AND POWER TOOLS
Beam Center builds together with NYC youth, artists, engineers, makers and educators to connect people to projects that have purpose. Young people learn to collaborate and create while learning skills in welding, physical computing, carpentry, ceramics, textiles, video, programming and design. Projects help young people build their character and self-esteem, develop skills that are useful in today’s workplace, and prepare for a life of continual learning and meaningful action.
Our programs, aimed at students and educators, take place in public school classrooms throughout NYC, in Red Hook, Brooklyn at Beam Center, in Strafford, New Hampshire at Beam Camp. With mentorship, internships, and career/college guidance, we aim to connect youth to New York City's creative and technical economies.
OUR IMPACT PREPARED FOR THE PROJECT OF LIFE
We inspire young New Yorkers to be hands-on, open-hearted, and ready for any challenge. We support young people to feel capable of building a better and brighter future for themselves, their city and the world.
This year Beam Center has made innovative projects with
- 5,000 middle & high school students, primarily low-income or newly immigrated
- 25 NYC public schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx
- 108 Beamworks Apprentices, who worked on a collaborative astronomy project, learned in-depth technical skills, and were trained to lead workshops for younger students on related science topics
- 100+ public school educators who took part in our Professional Development program
- 1000+ kids in our summer, afterschool and Inventgenuity Festival programs
In addition, we
- Provided 136 full scholarships to our summer and afterschool programs
- Launched the FabLab Initiative to help under-resourced public schools become hubs of imagination, invention and innovation
Whether you are a parent, student, or teacher, you can get involved with Beam Center. Check out the work we do in NYC public schools through BeamWorks, the workshops and camps we run at the Center, or our professional development programs for teachers.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
If you would like to stay up-to-date on Beam Center projects, workshops, and events, please join our email list. We promise to only send you things that will brighten your inbox and your day!